Family Tree Maker is needed to convert FTW/FTM
and FBC/FBK file formats to GEDCOM files.
FTW = Family Tree Maker for Windows
FTM = Family Tree Maker for DOS
FBK = Family Tree Maker Backup for Windows
FBC = Family Tree Maker Backup for DOS
Family Tree Maker v3.02 used as example
- Open Family Tree Maker program and the desired file
- Go to "File"
- Go to "Copy/Export Family File"
- Type in new file name (This is the file already open in
your program. Choose the location and name you desire for
your converted program.)
- Change "Save as Type:" to "GEDCOM" (*.GED)
- Press "Save"
- Leave default settings unless you know the exact program
you are converting the program for. Normal default settings
GEDCOM: Version 4
Character Set: ANSI
- Select "Fields to Export" (This is your opportunity to
keep information out that you do not desire to share with
others. Good information to remove is information concerning
living relatives or personal submitter information.)
- Press "OK"